Monday 1 July 2013

Golf


Today was my first day of work at a summer camp. I had to go golfing with some teenage boys. I'm a sporty type but golf is one of a handful of sports I really have no great interest in. It's the exercise equivalent of following a stone you've been kicking down the street (with arm swinging thrown in here and there). I am not in any way belittling the skill I know to be involved in golf-it's really challenging in terms of gauging distance, accuracy and even just hitting that tiny little ball with the skinny stick! As a hockey player, I thought there would be a bit of similarity in the whole swinging-a-stick-at-a-ball genre but I could barely manage to make contact my first few swings at the driving range! It seems to take forever to get in any way decent at it, and it doesn't seem like a fun sport to be bad at! I mean soccer with your mates will be still be fun if you;re rubbish and most people are happy enough to shoot some hoops whether they've ever played before!
Golf just seems like a sport that is not just for the fun of it. There are dresscodes for starters -dresscodes that, as a self-proclaimed fashionista, I am not a fan of. The outfits definitely contribute to golf's image of not being a 'young' sport. You won't see any jeans or Nike's or patterned leggings around the golf course and you won't see many young people in sweater-vests and sensible trousers. 
Most young people want to have fun with sports, they play for the social aspect, for the competitive aspect because it's exhilarating. Most people take a while to reach the 'exhilirating' stage of golf. You really have to be at least decent at it to get any of this out of it. It's not hugely social as you can't have crews walking the greens and it requires the kind of concentration and time-taking that you aren't often afforded with friends! For me, I don't think golf is a sport I will ever get into. Too much walking, too much standing, too much thinking and far, far too little adrenaline. Hockey may have a similar premise but I'd gladly take a hefty-legged girl steaming towards me with a concrete ball than a long stroll over a lonely green with a ball that won't go where I want it to!

No comments:

Post a Comment