Tuesday 11 March 2014

Little connections

Today I looked over the stats for my blog, sometimes it is interesting to see what people read, what people ignored, what people plus-oned. Not so much to influence my writing, but to influence my personality. What I share here is a lot like what I share in real interactions, just less filtered, less self conscious, because even though I know people I will see read this, and even though I know real people read this, I feel I don't have anything to hide here.
It is really encouraging to see positive responses to things that are dear to my heart. At the end of the day, even though most of what I write here is just disjointed thoughts, writing is my passion. It makes me happy. Reading, writing, poetry, novels, theatre; even essays or just learning new words - written expression is art to me. Nothing soothes the soul like engaging with art and words are a way that we do that every day. Even when you say 'blah-b;ah-blah' or 'y'know?' or just breathe out heavily as you cast around for the word - this is expression, this is connecting with other people, this is giving a part of what is in you to someone else, and making them part of the process of the giving. I can't help thinking that is really beautiful. They may not keep that part of you, they may not remember it, it may not have any sort of  effect on them, but, in that moment of the telling, in the transferring of thought to speech and speech to hearing to thought, you are linked to someone else. There is something perfect in that. Something as raw and necessary as eye contact, or a touch, or a smile.
When I see that someone has read something I wrote, it feels like when you make eye contact briefly with someone across a crowded train, when you brush against the person next to you as you sit down on a bus, when you do the awkward side-to-side shuffle as you try to pass someone on the street and you move the same way, when someone smile at you from across the park. It does not mean a thing, but for a brief moment, you are connected to someone-total stranger or best friend - that awkward laugh, quick glance away, nod of thanks or mumble of 'sorry' is a spark that jumps between two souls. We never know the effect a glance or a smile or even an apology fro stepping on their toes can mean to a person. It is a fleeting reminder that we are part of a bigger picture, a little integral part of society and the universe at large.
It is amazing to me that something so organic, can be so much more special than we really realise.

No comments:

Post a Comment