Thursday 29 August 2013

Sex and the TV

For a very non-sexual individual I have an odd obsession with Sex and the City. I hate the puns, I hate some of the outfits, I hate how dependant on men it makes women seem. But I love it. It's my guilty pleasure. Like Busted, or snickers, or over-knee socks.
I kinda like that it's all about men and relationships and sex. It allows me to live vicariously through a bunch of fictional characters, and I don't have to deal with the backlash when things go wrong. I'm out of relationships right now, and enjoying it, but as a women relationships are something we spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about. That and sex. Every young person (and Carrie Bradshaw regardless of her age..) thinks about sex. Whether they're having it, not having it, thinking about having it, or wondering why they don't feel like having it. Even if they've never had it, or they had it yesterday. I find myself wondering about it simply because I know other people are thinking about it.
Maybe that's why SATC appeals to me. Because unlike my friends' sex lives, those of Carrie and the girls do not require my advice, opinion or, god forbid, involvement. No one on the show is asking me whether they're a slut, or complaining about needing to get laid and hoping I know someone who can help. Best of all no one on the show needs to be rebuffed for sexually advancing on me.
While some people blame the likes of SATC for the over-sexualisation of society, I personally find it a trivial and harmless form of escapism, where gingers, prudes and blonds get their kicks in a fun, safe and mature way. Plus they get to be 'fabulous' in between hopping into bed with people. There's even some interesting relationship advice, and women-empowering moments.
It's relaxing to allow some other people to deal with all the sexual tribulations of their friends. It's like a silly chat with your girlfriends, except you don't have to actually solve any of the questions-that's Carrie's job!

No comments:

Post a Comment