Friday 8 March 2013

Train of thought

Today I got on a train of thought and it took me so far away I forgot what station I got on at. The train chugged along past thoughts of exams and assignments and whistled its enthusiasm at thoughts of summer. It stopped a long while in the station of nostalgia and at memories I couldn't help but get off and stretch my legs a while.We flew quickly by thoughts of music lyrics, last night's television session, possible dinner choices and the lingering longing for my warm bed- thoughts blurring by the windows of my thought train so quickly I could barely move my find fast enough to glimpse them. The question of whether or not to go swimming today sat with me most of the journey and at the end of the carriage sat my niggling nervous thought about my upcoming dance performance. The regulars riders of my thought train were there of course; exhaustion and frustration with my as-yet-unhealed foot distracted me regularly from the ideas flitting past the windows. As my journey went on my mind became more lucid-the train lights illuminated and the outside growing dark-my thoughts turning inward to myself, my recent feelings and the loftier and creative thoughts.Finally the train turned a sharp corner and looked down over a whole world of thoughts, which were the coal to the steam engine's fire, drawing me quickly from thought to thought; love to the future to how I used to be to who I want to be to places I want to go to thing I wish I could say and thoughts I wish I could follow through and little inspirations that might -if I could catch them - help me achieve or create something magical.
And suddenly, the train jolted to a halt and I realised I was here on my couch in my biggest hoody and my fingers were trying to follow what my infinite mind could not. And so I got off the train, and off of my couch, and went to bed where my mind could journey in peace without my consciousness slowing the train down

No comments:

Post a Comment