Tuesday 26 February 2013

Sleeping positions

I think you can tell a lot about someone from the way they sleep;straight as a rid and tucked in tight, on their face and drooling, cured up in a ball or splayed out like a starfish.
Part of our subconscious must influence how we sleep just like it influences what or whether we dream. Does it show the secret side to our personality? If so does sleeping over at someones house mean your risk revealing something of yourself? (although if you're a sleep talker or walker then it probably always will!).
We're never sure what kind of sleeper we are til someone tells us- my mum once revealed to me that I shouted out phrases such as 'TOFFEE APPLES' in my sleep and an ex claims I snore like a middle aged man.
While I'm a huge fan of s[spooning I've had many a friend complain that, while pre-sleep I'm a delightful bedfellow, once unconscious I'm like an energetic pop star or a cornered street fighter-all flailing limbs, sudden movements and practically turning upside down!
Over the last few years I've really got to know who of my friends sleeps how. We have a great deal of snorers and a number of wrigglers. The most interesting are those who lie flat on their backs like Dracula and don't seem to twitch at all-so controlled, so secretive, so self-conscious. Those who sleep one their faces, bum in the air (the classic KO into bed pose)-completely unashamed, secure, natural. Those who curl up, wrapped around the duvet with an arm under the pillow-cosy, comforted, warm, friendly, inviting. The starfishes come off confident, assertive, open, fun,crazy.
I think there is nothing more intimate than seeing how someone sleeps because it really does reveal their most vulnerable side-asleep we are all children, our faces soften, our walls come down and our body language cannot hide the innocent peaceful natural beauty in all of us when we sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment