Monday 25 February 2013

The talk

The talk. Generally I am a very open person and I'm happy to talk about just about anything; I usually make it easy for other people to talk to me about anything-even an issue they have with me. There is only one thing that I find difficult and that is the talk. I'm talking about the conversation that you kinda have to have with the person  you like, the moment when you have to define the relationship, the rules and the boundaries and where you risk revealing parts of yourself and your feelings that might not be reciprocated, that might not be compatible with the feelings of this oh so important individual.
Where do you start and how do you start it? Normally some one says 'we need to talk' the other agrees and then...nothing...usually awkward silence while you both try to formulate everything you've been thinking into some word that isn't 'ehhhhhh'.
My closest friend and ex boyfriend is able to talk to me about anything and he's the first person I go to if I need to talk about something yet when we actually need to talk about our feelings for one another it's suddenly impossible. He can't look at me if we need to have the talk. I become completely vague and inarticulate.
I can understand the obvious need for the talk but at the same time can't help feeling that in order to have the talk you already have to be quite secure in your relationship. The talk is dangerous, the talk is scary but the talk is like life- you want answers but you're not sure you can handle them. AT the end of the day we can live in fear or grow with bravery.

No comments:

Post a Comment